If I am going through a divorce in Dallas Fort Worth, can I sell my house during a divorce?
First, if you are coming to read about Divorce and you are going through a difficult time at present, we hope that you are coping and managing during the transition. Please know that you are not alone and that we are here for you. We are not lawyers, accountants, or tax experts. For that type of advice, please consult with the experts. However, we have the ability to connect you with resources which can help you through this difficult time. We care for each one of our customers individually, and we have the experience and passion to help you with your real estate needs in this time of transition. Whether you are looking to sell your house, buy or rent another, we can help! Whether your house in Dallas Fort Worth is in tip-top shape, whether it needs a lot of repairs or anything in-between, we can help!
It is likely that you are/will be working with lawyers through the divorce process. They will maneuver the courts, negotiations, and outcome of your case. If you or your spouse disagree on whether to sell the house or not, they will help mediate that decision. If, on the other hand, the divorce is amicable or you both agree that the house should be sold, then things become instantly easier.
You have several choices regarding your homestead property during divorce:
- One of you keeps it, one spouse may need to pay the other one off.
- Sell it, spouses split proceeds (maybe 50/50 or may be different %’s).
- Sell it, one spouse gets all the proceeds.
If a spouse came to the marriage with that property, it’s possible that the court may rule in their favor of getting 100% of the house back. However, Texas is a community property state, so it is likely that the house will be involved in the divorce proceedings. Please ask your attorney about that.
Why selling your house during a divorce might be necessary?
You are not obligated to sell your house in Dallas Fort Worth during a divorce, but there are several reasons why it may be a better option. Despite the hassles and stress of selling during a divorce, it may be the best option for a variety of reasons.
1. Financial Reasons – can one of you afford the house going forward?
You may have had two salaries to pay the expenses when you bought the house together. Selling the house may be the best alternative if either side can’t afford the mortgage, insurance, property taxes, and maintenance on a single salary.
Unfortunately, divorce comes with some high legal fees at times, making the financial burden heavier for both sides.
Depending on how the house he proceeds from the sale of your house in Dallas Fort Worth Area could provide each spouse with a solid foundation on which to rebuild their lives.
2. Disagreement Reasons
Even if it wasn’t a 50/50 split, each person contributed to the home’s purchase in most cases. If you both want the house but can’t agree on who should get it outside of court, the courts will make the decision for you. Court battles seldom go as planned for either party, or they can, sometimes, exacerbate the couple’s animosity, complicating the divorce.
3. Liability Reasons
It’s critical to understand the liability risks and difficulties of being a single homeowner if one person decides to keep the house.
While one spouse may have enough income to cover the mortgage and all payments, this also means the other spouse is no longer liable. They’ll have to speak with a lender and refinance the house, qualifying on a single salary going forward.
4. Other Reasons
There are several other reasons to sell a property like relocation to be closer to family, prior joint debt that needs to be settled during the divorce, memories that make it difficult to stay in the home, a house too big for less people going forward.
If you think selling your house during a divorce is the best option for you, then why not SELL TO US!
Here’s What JCA Freedom Homes Can Do For You:
- Remember, we care for each customer individually and cater to their circumstances and needs with our expertise and utmost compassion. We will visit with you, review your home and discuss your needs as you make the transition. We will work on your timing and keep pace with the divorce proceedings. You only need to move when the court proceedings are over and the future of the house sale has been solidified.
- If the court requires real estate expertise during the process, we have the experience and real estate license to provide market data and property valuations.
- If the court requires a sales contract, we’ll be happy to buy your property and put a contract in place.
- If you need our assistance to find you another property, whether to rent or buy, if you need assistance to qualify for a mortgage or apply for a rental, we have the right contacts to help you move forward. No need to maneuver everything alone!
- If you are ready to sell the property to us, you’ll pay NO fees and NO commissions. We pay ALL closing costs associated with the transaction.
- We’ll buy your house in any condition, ugly or pretty. We can buy in any condition, regardless of what you OWE, or if you’re in foreclosure…We can truly HELP you out of this situation!
- We can get CASH in your hands within a few days of you contacting us. We can close super fast if that’s required (usually within 7 days… sometimes sooner).
We understand the difficulties that come when someone goes through divorce. We understand that the road ahead can be complicated, and the adjustment to single life not easy. Let us stand by your side, and let us care for your real estate needs, whether you are selling a house, buying another, or renting. It’s our business, our expertise, let JCA Freedom Homes help you!
Compare selling to us (JCA Freedom Homes) vs selling to an agent
Read what our clients say about us